Thongsbridge Tennis & Fitness Club
The small village club was created in 1917 with only 2 grass courts. Over the one hundred years that followed, development continued at the club. In 1970, thanks to the first of a number of auspicious loans from the LTA, the club was able to replace the grass courts with two red shale ones and over the next 47 years those running and managing the club had the foresight and vision to plan and execute a tremendous expansion of the facilities and the membership. By 1993 the club had extended to another 3 outdoor courts and 2 indoor courts.
Links with the LTA led to ambitious development plans. By the turn of the millennium the shale courts had been converted to an all weather surface with floodlighting and plans had been drawn up to bid for £1,4 million of National Lottery money to build a new clubhouse with fitness suite, shop, social space and 2 more indoor, 2 outdoor and 2 mini courts. The extensive preparation and hard work of the previous 6 years, including 3 applications for Sport England Lottery grants, produced the results which the ambitious and focused development group hoped for.
This wonderful development, along with achievements by the club’s teams and juniors, resulted in the LTA voting Thongsbridge Tennis Club the ‘LTA Club of the Year’ in 2004. By the time the new facility was opened by Andy Booth, ex Huddersfield Town footballer, the club had appointed a full time manager and a new head coach.
We have now reached our Centenary year and the club continues to develop and expand. We have a Powerhouse for strength and conditioning and a studio for classes.